As the Academy’s School of Fashion graduate designers prepare to debut collections at New York Fashion Week (officially, ‘NYFW: The Shows’) on September 9 at 9:00 PM, we asked our backstage beauty experts to share their “Top 5” products and tips for a flawless fashion week.
Jon Reyman, lead AVEDA hairstylist, puts his team through the paces working up to 20 shows during global fashion weeks in New York, London, and Paris. Dubbed the ‘go-to stylist’ for beauty editors in New York and Los Angeles alike, Reyman has been featured in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Allure, Refinery 29, The Hollywood Reporter, Into The Gloss, and has made guest appearances on E!, The TLC Network, Access Hollywood, and Bravo TV.
Reyman’s Top 5:
- A Good Attitude – it all starts there.
- Mason Pearson Hairbrushes – simply the best!
- Dyson Hair Dryer.
- Aveda Volumizing Tonic, “An expansive personality deserves hair to match”.
- Bio Ionic Flat Iron; the fastest straightening tool for the silkiest, smoothest hair.
Reyman is a hair stylist, business owner (Spoke & Weal salons in LA, San Fran, NYC, Chicago and Palo Alto www.spokeandweal.com), educator, and collaborative partner to some of the most influential designers in the industry, notably: Donna Karan, Oscar de la Renta, Nautica, and Carolina Herrera.
Follow Reman on Instagram: @jonreymanhair
Victor Cembellin, M·A·C Cosmetic’s Senior Artist (North America), believes that the “true power of makeup is not in the ability to transform the way one looks, it is the ability to transform the way one feels.” Cembellin’s artistry can be seen on global runways, televised awards shows, red carpets, music videos and numerous editorials including: Vogue, Elle, Cosmopolitan, Nylon, Glamour, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, and, of course, the School of Fashion’s 180 Magazine.
Cembellin’s Top 5:
- If you are backstage – check your ego at the door! Every fashion show is a collaboration, a group effort by creative minds to present 15-20 magical minutes of artistic poetry.
- Flaunt your personal style! Fashion is so exciting now because there are no rules; every designer is conveying a very individual and different ‘story’ within his or her show or presentation – you can do the same.
- Fix + by M.A.C is an amplified hydrating and nourishing face mist (loaded with vitamins and botanicals) to refresh, sooth, plump and restore dry or tired skin. This is NYFW staple for models and always our first step in the makeup process backstage; it’s the perfect ‘refresh’ for anyone working, documenting, and attending the shows!
- M.A.C Wipes. Models literally run from show to show throughout the week – these gentle towelettes serve as a makeup remover, face cleanser and toner (ensuring that models arrive fresh faced to their next casting, fitting or show).
- M·A·C Strobe Cream. As if a 90-minute facial were somehow captured in a bottle- this moisturizer has been celebrated by makeup artists, models and beauty editors around the globe as the ultimate skincare essential. It provides hydration and cushioned comfort for thirsty skin, and gives you a personal ‘signature’ glow (available in luminous sheens of gold, peach, silver, red and pink).
Cembellin is based in the Bay Area and travels extensively for his career. His artistry has graced the faces on an A-Z list of celebrities and supermodels, from Amy Adams, Cara Delevingne and Missy Elliot, to Robert Redford, Sting, Gabrielle Union, and Robin Wright.
Follow Cembellin on Instagram: @victorcembellin or @MAC_Victor_C
Patricia Yankee is the celebrity nail artist extraordinaire (have you seen Katy Perry’s elaborate nail art?), CEO and founder of Patricia Nail Lacquer. Yankee’s creativity and expertise can be spotted in magazines and on red carpets, television, and, of course, the fashion runways of NYFW! Her 30 years of international experience in the nail industry includes educating, product development, salon openings, nail services, competition judging and press related events.
Yankee’s Top 5:
- Always use cuticle oil! Fashion week is perhaps the most fast paced and hectic environment, so plan for speed and efficiency. Cuticle oil speeds up the drying process for any polish and also keeps nails looking moisturized and healthy. Cuticle oil can give the illusion of freshly manicured nails, even if there isn’t time for one. My pick: Patricia Nail Laquer Agape Oil.
- Be Prepared. The more you prepare beforehand, the smoother everything will run backstage and elsewhere. As a professional manicurist and nail artist, I know there is little time before a show to get all of the models’ nails finished. Just like backstage, when life is hectic and you want great looking nails, make sure you have a range of colors at the ready, and for a quick change or update, stock up your press-on nails too. You never know what could go wrong at the last minute, and you will be prepared.
- Use quick-dry topcoat whenever possible. Quick dry topcoat dries fresh polish even faster than regular topcoat; a Fashion Week rush essential! Models don’t have the time to wait for polish to dry the old-fashioned way, and neither do you. For best results and a quick dry, my team uses Patricia Nail Lacquer Protect Top Coat.
- Dress comfortably! You will be spending a lot of time running and squeezing in to tight spaces, especially if you are working a show backstage. Wear something you can move around in and walk in easily – this includes shoes! While the environment itself is literally a ‘fashion show’, try to find the right balance between comfort and style. Wear something that looks great without sacrificing comfort and mobility.
- Be respectful . Everyone is trying their best to play their role in making the show run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. While backstage, it is especially important to be kind and courteous to the others who are also working backstage; respect their jobs and working spaces just as you would want them to respect yours. We are all there to work together-not against each other.
Yankee’s commitment to excellence and attention to detail makes her one of the most sought after nail experts in the industry today. Her eponymous Patricia Nail Lacquer offers a color range from bright neons, to nudes and earth tones, to glittery shimmers. Her signature line is available at Ricky’s NYC stores, where she also has an exclusive ‘Manibar’. As a freelance nail artist, Yankee has worked with celebrity clientele including: Rachel Ray, Pink, Katy Perry, Allison Williams, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, Giada De Laurentis, Kelly Osborn, Nicki Minaj and Selena Gomez.
Follow Yankee on Instagram:@pattieyankee
LIVE Webcast! NYFW: The Shows September 2017
Academy of Art University’s Graduate Collections Webcast is just like being there. Watch live as graduate students from the School of Fashion send their collections down the runway at New York Fashion Week! The lights will dim and the show begins at 9PM (EDT), Saturday, September 9, 2017.